Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bring back the culture

I often catch myself saying what I would like to change about the world if I were in charge. I might be in the minority, but I don’t think many of the worst issues in our lives are political, I think way too many are cultural. That is why the first thing I would change (while not the most important…) is that I would get rid of ‘fancy’ chain restaurants. Yes, that is right, I would get rid of all the Applebee’s, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden’s, Ruby Tuesdays (which I think is already gone), and all restaurants like them.

I eat at them, so I am not attacking the people that eat there, in fact, just the opposite. I don’t think we really have a choice, and I want to give people back that choice because I feel that these restaurants have eliminated local culture. If you travel to Boston, Milwaukee, or San Francisco you can get the same food and you have to go out of your way to eat at a ‘local’ restaurant. Instead of having 8 Applebee’s in a town, we could have restaurants that focus on local culture and serve local food. You can’t get cheese curds at any of these places in Milwaukee, why not? I bet the clam chowder sucks at Boston’s TGI Fridays. You get my point.

I would leave the fast food places, although getting rid of fast food crap that kills you would be on my list of things to rid the world of too (that is for another day). I won’t get rid of Subway, Qdoba (Joe would kill me), or anything else like that—just places that make you sit down, with a waiter, that serve the same crap in every city.

I know, I know. Free market this, just don't eat there that. I am sick of that argument because if nothing else I am too lazy. Make it easier. :o)

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home