Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Are companies starting to get it?

Well, the answer is probably not. No matter what it is, companies probably are not going to 'get it,' but especially when it comes to customer service. Business Week's article was very interesting and brings up some very interesting points.

First, is it wrong as a customer to expect to be treated well? Recently Katie had an issue with her bank, and they would not help her. Seriously, it is a wonder that the banking industry is falling apart. Here Katie is trying to deposit money into your bank, but you won't let her. And instead of providing options, you turn her away. Forget that she has banked with you for a long time, that doesn't matter. Instead, you are going to lose her current and future business. As the economy continues to get worse, should not companies be fighting for clients? Doing what it takes to get your business? Retailers are. Heck, Kohl's is basically giving away items with the sales they have right now. I guess I think that one good thing that will come out of this recession is that companies will remember what good customer service is, because good customer service is the best competitive advantage you will find. People will pay more (not a lot, but some) to shop or buy from a firm that offers great service. I can promise that if I was going to buy a car, I had best be treated well because I am spending a ton of money.

Second, I am glad that some companies are willing to rethink customer service and perks. While I still cannot believe that CEOs are making millions and we can't discuss the stupidity of that because you are labeled 'against the free market,' but I hope that companies don't realize you need to treat your 'front line' employees well if you want them to treat your customer well. The CEO of Wal-Mart makes ~$13 million a year. Now we can piss and moan about the stupidity of that, but you will never get me to think CEOs making that much is a good thing. But my point is that if companies are going to pay them that much, they had best realize that paying your entry-level people, the people that interact with your customers, well is what is going to keep your store relevant. Katie and I were at HOBO (similar to Home Depot) the other night and one of their employees was complaining about needing to work this weekend. I bet if you paid them enough and treated them well enough they wouldn't worry about it. Like I have said before, I would hope that Google's employees don't complain like that because they know they aren't getting the treatment they have at Google ANYWHERE else. I am sure they complain some, but not as much as where I work I bet.

Well I just got information that I get to go to a dinner at my future in-laws house. Read the article, I thought it was good.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree that good customer service is the "edge" most companies overlook. Businesses who cater to wealthy patrons (high end clothing especially) treat their patrons like celebrities and are compensated accordingly. People ARE willing to pay more for good service. If companies would be bothered to pay front liners in relation to their impact on customers, the customer service could certainly improve. I do worry that if all companies did this, we would be back to square one, but I am willing to ride out the changing trend until then.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home