Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Legislate against stupidity

My next step in my plan to world domination is to legislate against stupidity. I don't know if that is the right term, but basically I want to make not being stupid more desirable. People respond to incentives, and since I cannot think of a good reward system, I want to basically start to fine and/or arrest people for stupidity. And for instances that are already illegal (read on), I want to make the punishment more severe.

This isn't a new train of thought for me, but after hearing about the woman that called 911 three times because of an issue with her McDonald's order, I have finally reached the end of my rope. People need more of a deterrent from acting like complete idiots. I believe that one of the root, most severe problems facing our country is that we believe we are better than everyone else. Not just other countries (although that is an issue), but each other. Here is a list of things I would like to start fining/pulling more people over for (in no order).

Leaving your cart in the middle of the parking lot, or not in the designated spot. You cannot be that lazy that you can't walk 50 feet to the cart carrel (not sure if I spelled that right). How many times have we all gone to pull into a parking spot and found an abandoned cart in the spot because someone was too good to follow the rules? I say that if they are too good to put their cart away, they are too good to get a cart next time (carry everything in your arms chump).

Using the car pool lane when you aren't carpooling. This is something I really hate because all it says is that you think you are too good to follow the rules and that your time is more variable. I am willing to make an exception if you are going to give birth within the next 2 hours, otherwise get in line like everyone else.

Leaving things randomly around stores. You don't want the chicken breasts anymore? Or that pair of pants? That is fine, but please put them back where you found them.

Driving around a line of traffic only to merge at the last second. You think everyone else is waiting in line for the fun of it? If you are the Pope, I might give you a pass (although I am not Catholic so don't count on it).

Taking your child to the ER because they have a fever or are throwing up. Guess what, kids get sick. Just because their fever is 99.7 doesn't mean require emergency treatment. Imagine how much health care costs could go down if we all didn't panic immediately (and took something resembling care of ourselves).

Using 'gay' or other derogatory terms as adjectives. Totally unacceptable.

Littering, including throwing cigarettes on the ground. If ran the world, and you threw a cigarette on the ground, I would make you eat it (beats some bird eating it because they are too stupid to know better).

Ok, so this is the beginning of a list. I can go on for days, and I probably even forgot a few that really bother me. I know that most things on here already are illegal, but the penalty isn't working, so lets up it. It would make America a better place, and the fines would help pay for the deficit!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the "rent a cart" option at grocery stores like Aldi and baggage carts in larger airports like Sydney. If you want to pay for a cart and then leave it in the parking lot, go ahead. In Sydney, there are people (not employees of the airport, regular folks like me) who "patrol" the parking lots and are happy to return your cart for the dollar coin they get for doing so. I personally have jumped back out of my car to return a cart at Aldi for the quarter. If I would pick it up off the ground, why not "earn" it without getting my hands dirty?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home