Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Work Life Balance

I have always been a fan of having a good work-life balance, who isn't? I do not know many people that admit to living to work, instead of working to love, but sadly, this isn't the case for many.

With the economy in the toilet finding a solid balance between work and your personal life is more difficult than ever because you are supposed to be thankful that you even have a job, who cares how they treat you. What is that, you won't work Saturday? Well we can let you go and find someone else that will. Three weeks vacation? Sorry, we have a stack of resumes from people that will work and only take two.

I cannot even imagine what job interviews are like. Even better is the behind the scenes conversations. I can only imagine what final interviews for some positions must be like with so many qualified people unemployed.

The scene I am excited to see is what happens next. What happens when the tide changes? When the economy grows (I know it seems like it never will) and jobs start being created. Will we see an exodus? I would imagine that we will. Sure many people just love to job hop because they believe that the grass is always greener, when in fact you are risking entering a worse or equal situation; however, companies will be able to woo away some quality talent I bet. Some talent that is waiting for a less risky market to change jobs within.

My advice to employers would be to make sure that you are still taking some time to invest (maybe not financially) in your valuable talent because you don't want to use the recession as your best retention tool because it won't last forever (hopefully).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home