Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

PC versus Mac

Watching TV this morning one of those clever Mac/PC commercials came on. That is some of the best marketing I have seen in awhile, and PCs have never been able to combat it. I think one main reason is that because PC isn't really a company. Sure, Microsoft is the face because they make Windows, but they don't make the computers (just the crappy software). Instead, it is the Dell's, Toshiba's, HP, and IBMs of the world that sell the computers that compete with Apple's, and it is difficult to get everyone on the same page to create a marketing campaign to do that.

So the commercial got me thinking, so I then updated my twitter to ask the question of why these companies, including Microsoft, don't just say the obvious-- we are more popular because we are more affordable. I quickly received a response from a twitterer (not a word) that I have never spoken to before, but evidently he found what I had to say funny because he was ROTFL (had to Google that to learn what it meant). He seemed to think that the computers do cost the same for what you get. And that might be true (it isn't). Honestly, it doesn't matter, and here is why (I needed more than 140 characters).

Apple versus PC isn't coke versus pepsi, it is more Lexus versus a GM car. Every car that Lexus makes is super nice and expensive (or pick another fancy car brand if you want). GM makes some very nice, and expensive cars, but they also make cars that folks like me can afford. If you walk into the local 'Apple Store,' you cannot find a laptop for less than $999. The $999 model has a 13" screen. If you log onto Dell's website you can find a laptop with a 13" screen for $499.

Now, before @davesag and other Mac/Apple people claim I don't know what I am talking about and start rolling on the floor laughing, I know Apple's product is better. I get that, but I don't think it really matters. People buy computers based on price. People don't even know what features make a Mac worth it. They know that a new computer is new, just like most people don't know the difference between the drive shaft in a Ford Focus versus a Chevy Cobalt. New is new. Not saying it is right, just saying that is how it works.

What Apple needs to figure out is what is their desired market-share. Do they really want to compete with PCs? Lexus and BMW don't compete with Kia. Should Apple decide that they want to compete with PC, they need a more modestly priced system. They need a system to infiltrate the average computer buyer. They need a $600 laptop that isn't 10". Then they can use their numerous competitive advantages (brand loyalty, brand prestige, and superior product) to compete. Maybe get more businesses to use Apple's as opposed to PCs, that would be a HUGE benefit because then people would use them without needing to buy them, thus getting them hooked.

Anyways. As I am someone that will soon be in the market for a new laptop (and I want an Apple by cannot justify spending $2000 on one), I will likely get a Dell. Sure it will run slower and crash once a year. Such is the life of a PC user I guess.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home