Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

The first week of marriage.

So I have been married for just a bit over a week. Here are some of my thoughts on the first week.

The first night (after the reception) was terrifying. After all was said and done (no details), and Katie was asleep, I lay awake thinking "Holy crap I am married!"I do not, and haven't, had doubts about this, but I still felt this amazing sense of overwhelmedness (I don't believe that is a word) about what had just happened. Marriage is an amazing thing, but also a terrifying thing because you stand in front of basically everyone you know and vow to do something. Billions of people in the world, you need to be pretty sure to make that vow. Luckily, Katie (and I assume most couples) felt the same way and we talked about that feeling most of the day on Sunday (traveling to Jamaica). Was nice to know that she felt the same way and we used that tiny bit of 'what did we just do?' to grow even closer.

Is there a good way to ask someone if they sent a gift? Lets say that after you opened all the gifts you notice that someone close to you didn't send a gift. We don't mind if they didn't, we just fear it may have been lost. There truly isn't a good way to ask that is there... Oh boy.

Our honeymoon was amazing. Jamaica was an amazing experience. The food, weather, drinks, scenery... everything was great. Being at a resort like that totally makes me question American's sense of cultural decency. I wonder what it is like to work at one of those resorts. I imagine the workers get paid like $20 a day or something (no idea) and have to put up with waiting on lazy Americans who can't walk 50 feet to get a drink (Katie and I never had them bring us drinks, we got our own). Just a weird situation. I would love to talk with some of the staff there about their real views of Americans.

Airports are the best place to people watch. The average person pretty much drives me insane, mostly because I feel that the typical person is WAY too narcissistic for their (and our) own good. Airports are great because you throw hundreds of people, each of whom feel they are the most important person at the airport (and the world), into a tiny space. Mostly being in an airport just makes me sad to see where we are as a society. If you don't know what I mean, just watch what happens once the seatbeat light is turned off and people can start getting off of the plane.

Miami airport is terrible. I wouldn't recommend being there for too long. Thousands of people, little room, and no where to eat.

I am not used to wearing a ring. I always feel like it will fall off, especially when I wash my hands (maybe that is why so many men don't wash theirs).

Lastly, I am excited to be married. Obviously I love Katie (now my wife!) very much, but I am so grateful for our relationship. We get each other. We communicate well. We don't let thing stew, we just talk them through and get through them. The first week has been amazing, and I am very much looking forward to many many years of marriage. I want to be that old couple at a wedding years from now that gets to give marriage advice because we have been married the longest. Hopefully I live that long!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:59 PM , Blogger The Big said...

    Congratulations again. Glad the honeymoon went well. I had 2 gifts ordered and sent, so if you were referring to me.. well, there ya go.

    Welcome back. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home