Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Evangelical Disenchantment

Over the past year I have drifted from church. This is mostly because of my choice to live with Katie over the past 10 months. We knew that traditional religious folks would not like our choice. We knew they would jump to their own conclusions and assumptions, and we were right. When I started volunteering with Elmbrook's high schoolers, I was basically told I couldn't because of my choice. I was also informed that since we live together, our marriage is likely to fail. That discussion is for another day (and maybe an interesting post), but today, I discuss my my return to the church.

The other morning I decided to listen to Blackhawk's (my old home church) podcast of the previous week's message (or as some call it, a sermon), and I was amazed that the message was EXACTLY what I needed. Crazy how that works out.

The message started with Pastor Chris discussing a book he finished calls Evangelical Disenchantment. This is a book I plan on reading soon (assuming my library has it). Pastor Chris then moved onto discussing the sermon on the mount. I would recommend listening to Blackhawk's message if you are interested because it did an amazing job of discussing what it means to be the salt of the earth. This discussion was reassuring because I went from someone that had extremely strong faith, to someone that questioned theirs. Someone that always had a Bible around, to someone that doesn't even know where theirs is now.

The message also hits on how to spread the message. That is something I have always done. Christ has never been my issue, Christians have been. I believe Christians need to be normal in that they still watch sports, listen to good music... I don't believe that Christians should live in bubbles, only talk to each other, and judge from inside their bubbles.

Like most posts, this got off of topic. Sometime I will learn to keep my momentum and just roll, but I haven't learned that yet. Meanwhile, I hope by the grace of God that He has something in store for me. I didn't get the job I was a finalist for, but I did sign up to be a Big with Big Brothers and Sisters. Back to being a contributing member to society.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 6:38 PM , Anonymous Michael Taylor said...

    I kind of want to talk to you about this...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home