Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Only 30 days!?!?!

Where on earth have we gone as a society? This will be a less fun (not that any are fun) post, but this is on my mind.

Let us recap. A few years ago (I don't feel like researching stats) Michael Vick was arrested on dog fighting charges. Hopefully all 3 people that read this know that story. So Vick funded and participated in dog fighting, and is said to have killed dogs. He received something like 2 years in prison and likely will never play in the NFL again.

Donte Stallworth drives drunk, KILLS SOMEONE, and only received 30 days in prison.

I love dogs. I love people. But why FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, do we value dogs lives more than we value people's lives? The guy that Stallworth killed was someone's friend, father, husband (no idea), employee, or something else.

Here is my thought. I think that we let drunk drivers off because most people (not myself) can see themselves doing what Stallworth did, and not what Vick did. We love our dogs, and could never fund or participate in dog fighting. Most people drink, and sadly way too many drive drunk, especially here in Wisconsin. We don't view drunk driving as something 'we control,' although it is TOTALLY SOMETHING WE CONTROL.

Anyway. Just bothers me that you can drive drunk, kill someone, and get 30 days in jail. If Donte Stallworth hit and killed Katie and then received 30 days in prison I would be livid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home