Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog

Random collection of opinions and observations as I journey through my personal, spiritual, and professional life.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Terrible Job Economy?

Given the nature of my job I speak with many people that are looking for work.

I want to say that I am sick and tired of people using the 'bad economy' as their crutch for why they cannot find a job. I promise that if you are employable, you will be able to find work. Plain and simple.

If I am a business owner I would add people to my staff if I felt their value outweighed their cost, and that were the problem comes in. People overvalue themselves.

People want to make more money than they are worth. Sure, that is impacted by the market. I think the amount that executives, directors, and sometimes even middle management is completely ridiculous in some (most) cases; however, that is the current economic client, so cope. An entry-level employee (which is where you typically need to enter a company) isn't going to pay you more than $30,000-$40,000, and if they are the schedule or work is going to be terrible. You cannot find your dream job right away. COPE.

I dearly hope the economy gets better, but I hope that our current economy leads to effective change in a few areas, and one of them is employee compensation. I hope people start to earn their money, and that people up and down the corporate ladder make what they are worth and what they deserve. I hope that employees have a reality check about what skills and characteristics they bring are really worth because I personally think I bring intangibles that most don't. I hope the days of showing up late, leaving early, taking 2 hours worth of smoke breaks, ETC. are gone because that will benefit someone like me who takes their profession very seriously.

One last note, people need to learn that job searching is like dating, you need to be DATABLE. You cannot show up and look unprofessional. Well, you can, just don't complain when you are unemployed.

And can we, as a country, stop supporting people that choose to be unemployable? If you choose to drop out of school, or not go to college, or swear during interviews, or misspell words on your resume, or wear a baseball hat to an interview YOU DON'T DESERVE ANY FINANCIAL SUPPORT. You are choosing to be unemployed because you are unemployable. People need to get their act together.

End of story.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger The Big said...

    You sure are a bleeding heart, Phillip.

     
  • At 8:06 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Well, I do agree with you for the most part, although I would argue that this post makes you far more bitter than I am.

    However, you lost me on the last part, when you mentioned that people who misspell words shouldn't get financial support. To that, I quote your spelling, that's "ridicules". ;)

    Your human spelling and grammar check,
    Lynn

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home